Wednesday 1 June 2011

Magic: Ode To All Things, Olivia Newton-John

Sometimes when I close my eyes, and I'm having a challenging day on this road I started on all those years ago, I can hear, crystal clear, that voice...echoing those lyrics '...Building your dream...Has to start now...There's no other road to take...You won't make a mistake..I'll be guiding you...'. And all of a sudden, I'm 4 years old, in front of the television, sitting on the fuzzy red carpet in the living room, next to my older sister and completely mesmerized by the beautiful songbird, singing away on the screen. Olivia Newton-John. My life changed right then and there. I had to sing like her. I had to act in movies like her. I had to be blonde and blue eyed like her. Oh wait. Cancel the last one - that was never gonna happen (except the one time in high school I wore blue contacts - but that's a whole other story). All I knew was that Olivia Newton John, was the bomb, and she was my idol - the one who got me started on this journey of following my dreams. If I ever meet her, I can honestly say, I would probably pass out. lol  

Every time I listen to her penultimate song, Magic, it never fails to reignite my soul, my drive, and my energy to see my dreams through. It's like a booster shot to kickstart things up again, and I have the biggest smile on my face. lol Sometimes it's so easy to forget where the passion comes from, when the tough times hit you, or when you get rejected or turned down for something and you feel like you wanna give up. But like in the movie, Jerry Maguire, where Tom Cruise, the manager, tells his client, Cuba Gooding Jr, to 'play from the heart', or 'put the love back into the game.' That's what keeps us going. That's what keeps the dream alive. I've been signed a few times to either a major or independent label, and some worked and some didn't. And it can be really testing and sometimes creatively soul destroying when you have to deal with all the corporate politics which most of you might not hear about. But I love to sing. I love to write music. That will never die or go away, and that's what keeps me waking up every day happy that I am doing something that I love to do, and with renewed hope that maybe some more doors will open. Through all of this, I should also remember to enjoy it too. Even the not so great days. That's what my Papa has always told me. Loving what you do has to be the only reason why you'd wanna do music in today's state of the industry, where artist's have to do everything now, A&R'ing? - what A&R? Artists are developing themselves, piracy is ripe, and therefore affecting download sales. Not so glam eh? lol But I know that feeling I had when I watched Olivia Newton John in Xanadu. It was euphoric. She was the world's sweetheart, had so much charm and stage presence. Her music filled my entire body with excitement. I was so in love with wanting to sing and act so much from watching her, that I had to do it too...and here I am, years later, doing what I wanted to do when I was 4. 

We all have our idols, and thank goodness for them. We can watch them, learn from them, and feel good about ourselves every time we hear a favourite song, or read a favourite book, or watch an all time fave movie. It's inspiring, it's what makes us tick. It's what makes my heart beat. When you hear your calling in life, it's the most amazing and scariest feeling. But the excitement is in what is possible. These lyrics to Magic, written by John Farrar, was the perfect song at the perfect moment, which inspired me to do what I do. 

Come take my hand
You should know me
I've always been in your mind
You know that I'll be kind
I'll be guiding you

Building your dream
Has to start now
There's no other road to take
You won't make a mistake
I'll be guiding you

You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you

From where I stand
You are home free
The planets align so rare
There's promise in the air
And I'm guiding you

Through every turn I'll be near you
I'll come anytime you call
I'll catch you when you fall
I'll be guiding you

You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you

Thank you ONJ for inspiring me, and keeping that fire alive in me for wanting to be a singer and an actress like you. At 4 years old, I thought you were pure magic. I still think you are. :) Thanks for reminding me that the real magic lies within the dreams we have. 

Yours Always, 

The Girl In The Pink Glasses

7 comments:

  1. You write the best blogs EVER!! <3 X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your blog as always! :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're such a beautiful writer karen. can you write songs for me please! :') x

    ReplyDelete
  4. yet another amazing blog as always love the way u write and read it on the twitcams and
    love the song at the end always love ur blogs what ever the subject

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1st one i have saw you are amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely with out a nout xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you! Please tell us the story of the blue contacts! How are you so amazing at everything, acting, singing, blog writing, song writing, modelling (magazine covers... etc), being gorgeous, being a role model. I could go on and on.
    Yours always,
    your superhero xx

    ReplyDelete